Aw: Re: Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue Jul 1 19:59:09 UTC 2014

On 7/1/2014 4:48 AM, Infoomatic wrote:
>> If you actually want to preserve those increments (as opposed to just keeping
>> an rsync mirror up-to-date), I like rdiff-backup.  It handles maildirs well
>> because of the one-message-per-file design.
> Second that. It's great tool that keeps an actual sync
> (rsync-based) of the data-directory and the metadata (delta) in a
> seperate directory to restore data from any date.
>
> Alternatively, you might want to take a look at bacula, which was faster
> in most cases (development seems to have stalled, but there is a fork I
> have not had time to take a look at: bareos). However, I liked the
> rdiff-backup way because I can restore files via scp or rsync (most of
> my requests were like "please restore from yesterday") or if I want to
> restore data from a certain date I can use rdiff-backup from command
> line (bacula is much more complex, and you need the admin tool to
> restore files - rdiff-backup works from command line locally or via ssh/keyauth)

I looked at Bacula/Amanda - which are great systems if your focus is
tape or backup to disk.  But neither of them had good support for
"backup to disk, rsync to offsite".

rsnapshot / rdiff-backup are just better at creating backups which are
rsync-friendly over the WAN.  Which also means you can easily push the
backups to USB drives without having to wait hours and hours.