question on lmtp logged message

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Mon Jul 7 12:28:29 UTC 2014

Em 03/07/14 14:31, Timo Sirainen escreveu:
> On 25.6.2014, at 18.45, Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas at solutti.com.br> wrote:
>
>>     I have dovecot running for IMAP4/POP3 and also local delivery through LMTP. It's working just fine, absolutely no problem on that, setup is fine.
>>
>>     Anyway, sometimes LMTP seems to not be able to deliver some messages and keep them on postfixqueue. And on the next or third try, the message gets delivered successfully. The logged message, however, is not helping me identify what is happening.Example:
>>
>> (error - message was expunged)
>> Jun 25 11:49:39 correio postfix/lmtp[21835]: ADB0A1AC05108: to=<vanilson.parreira at domain.com.br>, relay=correio.domain.com.br[private/dovecot-lmtp], conn_use=6, delay=13, delays=0.07/0/0/13, dsn=4.2.0, status=deferred (host correio.domain.com.br[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 451 4.2.0 <vanilson.parreira at domain.com.br> Message was expunged (received-date) (in reply to end of DATA command))
> I guess the only good fix for this is to just get rid of this deduplication feature for now: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/51274bf2a47d
>
> Hopefully people don't rely on this feature too much.

     Timo,

     Is it expected deliveries through LMTP to get slower with this
patch ? I mean ... despite i was seeing the 'message was expunged' some
few times a day, after applying the patch they really dissapear, but my
deliveries starts to apparently get slower. I dont have real numbers to
prove that, i can only guanratee that my queues are starting to grow up
a lot with to-be-local-delivered messages.

     I experienced that last week after running the patched version for
some hours. Reverted to plain 2.2.13 and queues were successfully
emptied after some minutes. This weekend i installed the 2.2.13 patched
one again and, by this morning, queues are growing again.

     I really do not understand dovecot internals and, sincerily, dont
even know if i'm using some feature that depends on deduplication. Fact
is that i'm running a pretty busy server and those 'message was
expunged' situations werent a real problem. When it happened, message
would be on the queue and probably delivered some minutes later, on the
1st or 2nd queue run after that. But if removing this deduplication
tests/feature will slow down that much the deliveries, i'm afraid that,
overall, the non-patched version is better to me.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes at solutti.com.br