Multiple servers and NFS

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Wed Jul 23 22:23:20 UTC 2014

Hi all,

For some reason, I didn't go to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/NFS until now,
and I'm starting to get worried ...

The plan was to have multple servers (MXes) receiving mail, and
delivering via LMTP to multiple backend dovecot servers (with amavis in
front of dovecot; LMTP both sides). Then we'd have multiple servers for
clients to use IMAP or POP3.

This is more or less how the system already works, except with Courier
IMAP, and postfix on the backends, delivering to maildirs with procmail.

But with the recommendation to use the Director for both IMAP/POP3 and
LMTP - that starts to sound like I need a whole bunch more servers to
run Directors and proxies, and even then it might not be a good idea to
have different servers running lmtp and imap/pop.

One possible mitigating point is that our 'load balancing' is DNS
round-robin, so a given client will probably stick with a single
imap/pop server anyway, but if the user has multiple clients
(desktop/mobile etc) then they may still hit different servers.

Can someone clarify best practice for a setup needing multiple servers
for load balancing and redundancy?

Is Courier already likely to have been suffering these problems?

Oh, the NFS server is a NetApp Filer, if that matters.

I'm using dovecot 2.2.9 from debian wheezy backports, in order to get
the quota policy daemon support.

Thanks,
Richard