Multiple servers and NFS

Nathan Schultheiss nathan at schultheiss.fr
Thu Jul 24 20:00:50 UTC 2014

Hallo Patrick,

I've a Dell Equallogic, I make one "volume" with 4 To capacity.
This volume have a iscsi key, I had this key to VMWare for link VMware with this "volume".

After on VMware I format this volume with the VMFS5 format, VMware add it "Datastore2".

I make a first VM (storage VM) with 2 Hard Drive:
First Hardrive (located in Datastore1) with 20Go capacity, I setup on it the ubuntu system.
Second Hardrive (located in Datastore2) with 4To capacity, That's my slave hard drive formated in ReiserFS and mounted has /home/vmail
I setup nfs-server service with this options in my "export" file (rw,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000,async), the /home/vmail it's the export point.

I setup now 2 new VM (Dovecot Backend) with just one local Hard Drive (20Go).
After the setup, I install nfs-client and mount /home/vmail to my "storage VMAIL".

Dovecot would store mail in /home/vmail/user
I've just 1 domain, it's why I store direct in user directore (ex: /home/vmail/nathan.schultheiss ).

The storage VM it's here because I can't mount the ISCSI session on the 2 Backend server.
I mount this "volume" first on VMWare because it's more easy for manage it and setup it on a Virtual Server (my storage server in this case).

It's not impossible that I make a total wrong archi...
But I've think, easy, I mount the ISCSI session on my 2 backend in /home/vmail, that work for 1 but not for the second, and I receive many error.
I think Equallogic don't like that 2 Virtual Server wrote on the same time to the same ISCSI session.

Freundliche Grüße aus Frankreich,
Nathan