[Dovecot] Replication with virtual users and static userdb possible ?

deano-dovecot at areyes.com deano-dovecot at areyes.com
Tue Jun 10 17:40:04 UTC 2014

Is there no-one out there using replication with virtual users ? If
so how did you do it ?

I just *know* someone is going to point me to a
simple page describing how to do it ...

On 2014-06-05 09:57,
deano-dovecot at areyes.com wrote:

> Ugh, stuff got mangled in formatting
below. Anyway, I've had no luck with
> various permutations, so it's
looking like a virtual-user setup can't make
> use of replication ?

I guess what I want is for it to activate replication upon ANY
notification
> of updated emails.
>
> On 2014-06-03 11:54,
deano-dovecot at areyes.comwrote:

>> Is it possible to get replication
working in a virtual user setup that uses a static userdb ? My
environment is fairly simple and typical - there's a single system user
(vmail) that owns all the home dirs (/var/mail/domain.com/user). The
virtual users ( userid @ domain.com : secretpassword) are kept in a
single file (/var/mail/domain.com/PASSWD) that's unique per domain, and
referenced as a static userdb : passdb { driver = passwd-file args =
scheme=plain username_format=%u /var/mail/%d/PASSWD } userdb { driver =
static args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/%d/%n } I know the wiki
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication [1] states that user listing must
be enabled, but that's not available for a static userdb. The wiki
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Static [2] also says that it
shouldn't be a problem because it will use do a passdb lookup instead
(except for PAM which isn't used here). Unfortunately, it's not working.
I've testing with ssh : dsync_remote_cmd = ssh -l vmail %{host} doveadm
dsync-server -u%u -l%{lock_timeout} -n%{namespace} mail_replica =
remote:vmail at server2.domain.com [3] as well as with straight tcp (SSL
for later) mail_replica = tcp:server2.domain.com:999 /var/log/mail.err
shows the problems ... Jun 3 11:30:53 server1 dovecot: auth: Error:
Trying to iterate users, but userdbs don't support it Jun 3 11:30:53
server1 dovecot: replicator: Error: User listing returned failure Jun 3
11:30:53 server1 dovecot: replicator: Error: listing users failed, can't
replicate existing data Anyone else have it working ? I'm sure it's
something simple that I've just overlooked.

Links:
------
[1]
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication