[Dovecot] Replication with virtual users and static userdb possible ?

deano-dovecot at areyes.com deano-dovecot at areyes.com
Tue Jun 17 02:50:45 UTC 2014

I'm trying to avoid switching the userdb from a nice simple static
setup to something else to enable replication. Is there anyone using
replication with a virtual user configuration ? How did you do it ?
Actually, anyone doing replication at all - what does your config look
like ?

Thanks -

D.

On 2014-06-03 11:54, deano-dovecot at areyes.com
wrote:

> Is it possible to get replication working in a virtual user
setup
> that uses a static userdb ? My environment is fairly simple and
typical
> - there's a single system user (vmail) that owns all the home
dirs
> (/var/mail/domain.com/user). The virtual users

(userid at domain.com:secretpassword) are kept in a single file

(/var/mail/domain.com/PASSWD) that's unique per domain, and referenced

as a static userdb :

> passdb {
> driver = passwd-file
> args =
scheme=plain username_format=%u /var/mail/%d/PASSWD
> }
>
> userdb {

driver = static
> args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/%d/%n
> }
>

> I know the
> wiki http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication states that
user listing must
> be enabled, but that's not available for a static
userdb. The wiki
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Static also
says that it shouldn't
> be a problem because it will use do a passdb
lookup instead (except for
> PAM which isn't used here).

Unfortunately, it's not working. I've testing with ssh :

dsync_remote_cmd = ssh -l vmail %{host} doveadm
> dsync-server -u%u
-l%{lock_timeout} -n%{namespace}

remote:vmail at server2.domain.com
> as well as with straight tcp (SSL
for
> later)
>
> mail_replica = tcp:server2.domain.com:999

/var/log/mail.err shows the problems ...

> Jun 3 11:30:53 server1
dovecot: auth: Error: Trying to iterate users, but userdbs don't support
it
> Jun 3 11:30:53 server1 dovecot: replicator: Error: User listing
returned failure
> Jun 3 11:30:53 server1 dovecot: replicator: Error:
listing users failed, can't replicate existing data

> Anyone else
have it working ? I'm sure it's something simple that I've just
overlooked.