Subject tag [Dovecot] is gone

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dovecot at rub.de
Wed Jun 11 12:50:56 UTC 2014

On Tue Jun 10 12:31:47 2014, Professa Dementia wrote:

> On 6/9/2014 7:26 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> I am not proposing a new standard, simply pointing out that breaking an
> established protocol (by removing the [Dovecot] subject identifier)
> because of a flawed anti-spam system is not in people's best interest.
>
> Can a spammer spoof messages from the list?  Sure.  Has it happened?
> Not that I am aware of.  Is it a problem?  Not so far.
>
> So why, then, make people go through all this trouble of setting up new
> filters and rules, mail routing, software upgrades, etc, just to appease
> a standard that is clearly broken?

It's not DMARC that is broken, it is its application by AOL and Yahoo.
(And it's not a standard yet, AFAIK.)

It notes that the part "p=reject" should not be used in an environment
where *people* send mail. DMARC works fine for paypal, amazon, etc..

As Yahoo and AOL have wilfully ignored this, my consequence is
to ban addresses from domains that have "p=reject" from posting to our
mailing lists.

Yours
Jost Krieger
--
| Jost.Krieger+sig at ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine    at RUB Comp. Center |