config best practice

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Thu Jun 19 08:52:15 UTC 2014

Am 2014-06-18 22:25, schrieb Egbert:
> Hi! We will soon start upgrading our Ubuntu mail server (running 2.0.19)
> from 12.04.1 LTSto 14.04 LTS.
> The dovecot config is still pretty much in 1.x style; one flat file
> called dovecot.conf. I can easily switch to a dovecot.conf with the
> "!include" lines and rename my flat config file to local.conf. I've
> tested that and it works fine. I could also try to move all lines in
> local.conf to the different XX-.conf files in the conf.d subdir. What is
> wise and best practice? Should one edit the files in conf.d? Or will the
> files in conf.d be overwritten on an update of dovecot? Then I'll better
> stick to the way of working with the dovecot.conf with the !includes and
> local.conf and assume that all files in conf.d are default settings.

Another Ubuntu 12.04 admin here, having almost all local configuration
in local.conf ;) and happy about a single and quite short file to maintain.

That lets me ADD, but not subtract stuff from conf.d/* (I had to comment
a line that pulls in pam system users authentication because that would
cause a timeout with virtual users on every login…)

PS: /etc is under revision control so I still get to see changes in
conf.d/* when upgrading the package, in case I want to know.

--
peter