question on lmtp logged message

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jun 26 14:06:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
> Em 26/06/14 03:32, Steffen Kaiser escreveu:
>>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
>>
>>>    Anyway, sometimes LMTP seems to not be able to deliver some messages
>>> and keep them on postfixqueue. And on the next or third try, the message
>>> gets delivered successfully. The logged message, however, is not helping
>>> me identify what is happening.Example:
>>>
>>> (error - message was expunged)
>>> Jun 25 11:49:39 correio postfix/lmtp[21835]: ADB0A1AC05108:
>>> to=<vanilson.parreira at domain.com.br>,
>>> relay=correio.domain.com.br[private/dovecot-lmtp], conn_use=6, delay=13,
>>> delays=0.07/0/0/13, dsn=4.2.0, status=deferred (host
>>> correio.domain.com.br[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 451 4.2.0
>>> <vanilson.parreira at domain.com.br> Message was expunged (received-date) (in
>>> reply to end of DATA command))
>>
>> What does the Dovecot log says for the delivery attempt?
>
>    exactly what's reported by postfix, no extra information there
>
> Jun 25 11:49:39 correio dovecot: lmtp(766, vanilson.parreira at domain.com.br):
> 645hNV7hqlP+AgAAHvf8vg:
> msgid=<F12DAC80721942C1842481355A0D08F8 at corporate.ad>: save failed to INBOX:
> Message was expunged (received-date)
>
>> How many recipients does the message has and, if so, what about the other
>> recipients?
>
>    After analyzing lots of cases (made a script for doing that), this seems
> to occur only on messages with more than 1 recipient, usually on messages
> with lots of recipients (>10) altough i got some on messages with 2 or 3.
>
>    Some days ago, when trying to optimize somethings on the server, i
> changed two dovecot parameters:
>
> maildir_copy_with_hardlinks to yes
> pop3_fast_size_lookups to yes
>
>    previously, both were no. I have returned both values to 'no' and this
> situation, 'message was expunged' seems to not be occurring anymore. Can this
> behavior by any chance related to these settings ?

maildir_copy_with_hardlinks is set on my server, too. It's the default
now. I do not see these errors.

Can you check if the failed recipient is _never_ the first one? I remember
some discussions about that the Dovecot LDA has to re-open the storred
message of the first recipient, in order to spool it for the other ones.
That caused problems because the server used an user-specific encryption
key.

If that applies to LMTP, too, this might become problematic, if the first
recipient deletes the message very quickly. Therefore my question, if the
error pops up for the second recipient and maybe all following ones.

- --
Steffen Kaiser