[Dovecot] Planning migration

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sat Mar 8 08:20:12 UTC 2014

On 03/08/2014 02:36 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I think I have a working dovecot installation, and the time has come
> to migrate my users.  There are only 4 of us, so it can be done
> manually per user.
>
> I looked at this page in the wiki
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Dsync
>
> but I am totally confused.
>
> 1st off, it uses doveadm, but with commands parameters that dont match
> my doveadm's man page.  In fact they look more like dsync parameters.
> Is there an error, or am I totally misunderstanding

Indeed that's a problem. Dsync as a separate command has been deprecated
and now dsync is a symbolic link to doveadm. The currently correct way
to invoke dsync commands is as is described on this wiki page, but the
man pages were not updated to reflect this.

> 2nd - if I assume its a dsync set of parameters, the imapc: at the end
> is a specification of location2.  However, again my man page doesn't
> give any explanation of this.  I am wondering, is this an example of
> an proxy
imapc is a dovecot storage backend, which acts as an IMAP client.
Migration is implemented as a reverse backup from location2. imapc can
be used as a sort of proxy but in this case it is literally used as a
storage engine, when reading from location2 and writing to your new mailbox.

I've expressed my opinion before that the wiki's structure seems rather,
ehm, circular. Every page seems to assume you already know absolutely
everything except for the details provided by that page. It would be
helpful if every topic had a proper introduction, explaining what every
thing is, why it exists, and under what circumstances it could help you
solve what problem. The last discussion of this did not end with a call
to action.

> 3rd - where do the imapc_*  parameters go in the configuration  I
> can't find any reference to them in the wiki

local.conf is fine (should be included from dovecot.conf), or otherwise
just dovecot.conf. You can also just specify a series of '-o imapc_*' on
the command line, you say you only have 4 users...