[Dovecot] Disable/patch iOS7 Full Body Search

Wed Mar 12 12:01:31 UTC 2014

On 3/11/2014 7:03 PM, Nicholas Riley <njriley at illinois.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <CALDaGLbbJTaGtK7bqY2itUWxnU09gnERW5DqDvNihCeszOqN6Q at mail.gmail.com>,
>   Chris Laif <chris.laif at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I wonder if anyone has done some research on this subject. Apple
>> users are complaining loudly [1] about being not able to search the
>> inbox since Apple did not change the brain-dead
>> full-body-search-behaviour in iOS 7.1.
> There don't seem to be any notable changes in iOS 7.1. iOS Mail still
> opens lots of simultaneous IMAP connections, eventually complains about
> not being able to contact the server, and doesn't seem to do anything
> that uses Dovecot's search indexes.
>
> I posted about this a few days ago:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/76613
>
> but did not hear from anyone else who has had success getting Dovecot
> searches from iOS 7 to be performant.  This was disappointing as I spent
> quite a bit of time getting Lucene FTS set up, because Timo had
> mentioned a few months ago that it should help.
>
> I don't do this for a living — I'm just maintaining a Dovecot server
> with a couple of users, but I do happen to have an iPhone and iPad with
> iOS 7 and like to search my email from time to time.

This is concerning to me, so I've CC'd Mike Abbot from Apple
(participates on this list from time to time and helps Timo fix things).

Most of our users have held off on the iOS7 update, but some haven't,
and it won't be too long I imagine before most have updated (either via
getting new devices, or just taking the plunge).

Mike?

--

Best regards,

Charles