[Dovecot] Connection refused userdb lookup ..dovecot/auth-userdb

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Mon Mar 24 08:08:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014, Simon wrote:

> Hi All, Ive been googling the crap out of this but still cant seem to make
> it work.. any assistance would be really appreciated thanks! :)
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Simon <greminn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 13, 2014, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de>
>> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Simon wrote:
>>>
>>>  Ive taken a look at this and cant quite figure out what is going on
>>>>

>>> what happens if you connect to that socket manually, e.g.:
>>>
>>> # sudo -u <lda-user> socat - UNIX:/usr/local/dovecot/var/
>>> run/dovecot/auth-userdb
>>> VERSION 1       1
>>> SPID    1746
>>>
>>> Maybe first try as root, then with the partucular users.
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply! I tried this as root and got the following:
>>
>> [root at vmail1 ~]# socat -
>> UNIX:/usr/local/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb
>> 2014/03/16 20:57:05 socat[24404] E connect(3, AF=1
>> "/usr/local/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb", 48): Connection refused
>>
>> Seems a bit wierd that I can't connect as root?

Actually, "Connection refused" is not "Permission denied", I would say
that:

a) Dovecot is not running,
b) Dovecot is not configured to listen on that socket,
c) Dovecot died when you've connect
d) SELinux, AppArmor, ... prevent access -> but I would expect "Permission
denied" in that cases, too

Check: lsof -c dovecot|grep auth-userdb
dovecot 12600 root   56u  unix 0xffff88003f94ed00      0t0  48261 /var/run/dovecot2.2/auth-userdb

- --
Steffen Kaiser