[Dovecot] Not backing up cache files

Wed Mar 26 19:32:08 UTC 2014

On 3/26/2014 2:16 PM, Gedalya <gedalya at gedalya.net> wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 04:05 AM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>> What I feel from reading documentation [1][2] is that they
>> could be dropped in the backups, to be recreated on the fly if needed.
> If you are using maildir, then yes, that's my understanding too, those
> files don't contain data that doesn't exist anywhere else. But beware
> that if you end up restoring many or all mailboxes at the same time,
> without indexes, then you will have lots of I/O activity for a while,
> as all of your users log in and the indexes are recreated. In some
> situations this might be overwhelming, depending on your
> workload/hardware.

<sigh>

Both of the responses to your question apparently missed that you are
using mdbox.

Obviously you can NOT ignore/delete the index files for dbox storage
formats, but I'm not sure about the cache files.

I *think* you can ignore them, but I'd have to defer to someone else for
a definitive answer, and I'm definitely interested in the answer to this
too since I'm considering migrating to mdbox myself.

--

Best regards,

Charles