[Dovecot] Not backing up cache files

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Sat Mar 29 05:33:37 UTC 2014

On 26/03/14 09:05, Jesus Cea wrote:
> I am using mdbox for dovecot storage.
>
> I wonder if I could skip "dovecot.index.cache" files and, in general,
> "*.cache" files when doing mail backup. Those files are big and change
> frequently. What I feel from reading documentation [1][2] is that they
> could be dropped in the backups, to be recreated on the fly if needed.
>
> But I would like expert confirmation.
>
> [1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/IndexFiles
> [2] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Design/Indexes/Cache

1. I stopped "dovecot".

2. I did a ZFS snapshot (play safe!), and disabled incoming messages.

3. I deleted ALL "dovecot.index.cache" (one per mailbox, I have about
500 mailboxes) without any apparent effect.

4. I started dovecot.

5. I moved around with apparently no side-effects. Cache are recreated,
small size, growing as you download messages.

I still would love an authoritative answer.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/