[Dovecot] Authentication woes, passwd standard install

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Fri Mar 28 07:51:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014, medicineme wrote:

> I have two users working fine. Tried to add a third and it refuses to accept
> log on details.
>
> I've stripped everything back to default config, and still only the first
> two users are accepted! Can't understand it and it's driving me crazy. I've
> deleted and created the user a thousand times, and opened the config up as
> wide as possible. I'm obviously doing something stupid but what!

if just the third won't work, something must be wrong with it. What does
the log says, when the user logs in? Did you tested the account without
client setup via telnet:

telnet localhost 143
1 login 3rd_user "password"
2 logout

You are using pam, what does /var/log/auth [or whereever PAM logs to]
says?

Did you've enabled mail_debug and auth_debug for testing?

> # OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae i686 Debian 7.2

Doesn't look like you've used doveconf -n to dump the config, what version
of Dovecot are you using?