[Dovecot] Pigeonhole sieve re-filter extension?

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue May 6 11:05:47 UTC 2014

On 5/6/2014 12:43 PM, T.B. wrote:
> Dear Stephan Bosch, dear Dovecot community,
>
> "sieve-filter" re-filtering of existing mails is already a great
> progress for everyone using sieve!
> But as far as I know this functionality is just accessible by the
> server administrator.
>
> In the meanwhile everyone knows the comfort of re-executing filter
> scripts on his own existing mailboxes - triggered by himself!
>
> This service is already very widespread. Examples are MUA's like
> Outlook or Thunderbird which provide this service just on the client
> side. Or almost every web-mail provider offers this.
>
> Is there already an managesieve protocol extension that allows client
> triggered server side re-filtering?
>
> If not, maybe you could design a RFC for this?

I proposed something like this in the past, but it didn't catch much
attention.

For now, there's this:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6785

It could be used to create a magic folder that does the re-filtering
when a message is moved to it.

In any case, functionality like this is a prerequisite for implementing
what you desire. Once this is implemented (there are plans, albeit not
very concrete), we can propose a new extension.

Regards,

Stephan.