[Dovecot] Index cache errors worse with 2.2.x

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Thu May 8 09:59:04 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 11:44 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 5/7/2014 4:38 PM, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth <leo at strike.wu.ac.at> wrote:
>> I am getting "Cached message size smaller than expected" errors since
>> dovecot-2.1.x.
>
> Please provide enough info for someone to actually be able to attempt to
> help you.
>
> At a bare minimum, you should *always* (not just for dovecot) provide at
> least the OS/ver and dovecot config (doveconf -n output).

See the doveconf output below.

> Also, the further from 'default' settings your setup is, the more
> important it is to provide a description of your environment (ie, is
> this a single server or a member of a cluster? are you using NFS? etc)...

I am using a single server, mbox, local disks (/home and /var is XFS on
HP SmartArray).

I tried dovecot 2.2.7, 2.2.10 and 2.2.12. All of them produce tha same
errors. ("Cached message size smaller than expected", sometimes followed
by "read... Invalid argument".)

2.1.1 seems to only produce "Cached message size smaller than expected"
without the read errors.

Cheers,
--leo

-------------------- 8< --------------------
# 2.2.12: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose = yes
default_vsz_limit = 512 M
first_valid_uid = 100
imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
login_trusted_networks = 172.23.60.0/24
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_plugins = " mail_log notify"
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  type = private
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
mailbox_rename
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
}
service imap-postlogin {
  executable = script-login -d /usr/local/sbin/dovecot-post-login.pl
}
service imap {
  executable = imap imap-postlogin
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

--