[Dovecot] Index cache errors worse with 2.2.x

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Thu May 8 17:01:28 UTC 2014

Am 08.05.2014 13:36, schrieb Charles Marcus:
> On 5/8/2014 5:59 AM, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth <leo at strike.wu.ac.at> wrote:
>> I am using a single server, mbox, local disks (/home and /var is XFS on
>> HP SmartArray).
>
> Hmmm... could be an mbox specific issue (I seem to recall issues in the
> past that ended up being mbox related,

I think it might probably be the same issue that had already been
described one year ago for 2.2.0:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/71636
(Although in my case, the "Cached message size smaller than expected"
difference is always 1 byte.)

> and I think Timo doesn't give
> mbox as much attention as maildir and dbox).

Too bad. Unfortunately it's not easy to switch for me. :-(
Is mbox really such an uncommon scenario with dovecot? AFAIK it's the
default config shipped with most linux distros..

> Also, possibly a kernel issue - you are on a very old one (I know the
> argument, but I disagree with and have never 'gotten' it). 2.6.32 is 6.5
> years old.

Hmm - I think that's very unlikely a kernel issue. It's a Redhat EL 6
kernel so that kernel is actively maintained and very widely used.

> Also, did you change default_vsz_limit for a good reason

Yes. I suppose. ;-)
However, I don't remember that reason now. :-) Maybe I read some
recommendation about that? Maybe about large mailboxes?

Cheers,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu.ac.at