[Dovecot] RFE: please add Return-Path: to sieve sent mail headers

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 14 15:04:31 UTC 2014

Am 14.05.2014 16:56, schrieb Charles Marcus:
> On 5/14/2014 10:44 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
>> Yep, those using different <> null senders should be aware, that there envelope sender rewritings, such as BATV
>> and SRS0, that make the address unique each time by adding hashed timestamps or something like that. Those
>> rewritings undermine the vacation database.
>> I hope that those implementations generate an unique address per day and not per message.
>
> Best would be if there was a way to code sieve such that it could ignore the BATV/SRS0 junk, as well as plussed
> addresses...

wrong way - there are standards for not-to-repsond messages

* null sender
* Auto-Submitted: auto-generated

these are typically ignored

there is really no reason to code around because someone insists
on rejecting all warnings and pretending that he knows what he
is doing by add a Return-Path to auto-repsonders

no, he does *not* know what he is doing and i even go so far to
say it's missing competence for mailserver administration

the mail cient on the receiver shows the FROM-HEADER and not
the Return-Path and even reply works from a mail-client

only other responders and mailing-lists are acting with
the Return-Path and they all know how to handle a null-sender