[Dovecot] / vs. </

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 17 15:41:05 UTC 2014

Am 17.05.2014 17:31, schrieb Boris:
> Why so aggressive?

because there is a documentation and the only correct answer
not following that is "you are in the area of undefined bahvior"

> I just noticed that I missed the "<" and wondered whether
> if makes a difference because it seems to work without it

most likely because some follow up commit to work around
woring configurations

> I know where to find the documentation but searching for this question
> is a bit hard since I can't search for "<". And the wiki doesn't
> explain the syntax anyway.

that's not a dovecot syntax
that's just unix

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ echo "bla" > test
[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat < test
bla

> After reading the patch am I right in assuming that with "</" the variable in
> the dovecot code contains the certificate itself instead of the link to the
> file? And if that is correct: Was dovecot reading the file every time it needed
> it before the change?

no - < reads a file and without you are supposed to directly
paste your certificate in the configuration instead point
to a file