[Dovecot] Performing an action on mail receipt

Andrew Beverley andy at andybev.com
Tue May 20 18:09:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 11:41 +0200, Jiri Bourek wrote:
> > By user, I'd like to retrieve from a SQL database firstly which Sieve
> > script to run (if applicable) and secondly the parameters for that
> > particular user, in this case the external email address to notify.
>
> AFAIK PigeonHole can read scripts only from file. Being able to use SQL
> database as data source would sure be nice and I recall there was some
> short discussion about it, but - again, AFAIK - it was never added as a
> feature.

Okay, I managed to get this working without too much of a problem. I've
updated the wiki:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration/Dict

> > As I understand it, I'll need to use the Extdata plugin to retrieve data
> > values per-user. I've successfully compiled and installed this plugin,
> > but I'm not sure how to connect it to a dict.
>
> Tried that too for optional spamassassin test and failed, see
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg57539.html . IMO
> documentation for this map and dict thing is a nightmare to say the
> least (or if there is something, Google doesn't know about it.)
>
> Anyway, this is what I came up with:

[...]

Thanks for that. I've just about got it working, and have also updated
the wiki:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extdata

I have run into one problem though:

extdata is looking for the dict proxy at the locate "/dict" (in the root
directory). I've had to create a symlink to the actual location
in /var/run/dovecot. I'm guessing that maybe I've missed a config option
when compiling. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, are there any plans to formally release the extdata plugin as part
of Sieve?

Thanks,

Andy