[Dovecot] dovecot: lda(foo): Error: User foo doesn't have home dir set, disabling duplicate database

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Sat May 31 17:12:18 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 03:04 PM Christian Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a small problem with dovecot installed on ubuntu-13.10. I use
> dovcot as LDA with a LDAP-passdb and a pam-passdb. The userdb is static.
> A mail to LDAP-user 'foo' is delivered with the error-message
>
> dovecot: lda(foo): Error: User foo doesn't have home dir set, disabling
> duplicate database

Your LDAP based userdb doesn't return the home directory for user foo.
The LDAP lookup should return the home directory. See
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase

And even for virtual users you should have a home directory for each
virtual user. See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

> A mail to the pam-user 'bar' will deliverd without this error. But both
> users should work with the static-userdb. Where is my mistake?

Because the userdb returns the home directory of the system user bar.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: c01dcofe.1415119 at localdomain.org