spam folder and POP users

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Nov 20 22:56:41 UTC 2014

On 11/20/2014 05:37 PM, Gedalya wrote:
> On 11/20/2014 05:29 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am new to actually running dovecot.  I actually still use POP as I
>> have for YEARS and thunderbird does not make it easy to convert to
>> IMAP...
>>

>> My server is moving all tagged spam into the IMAP spam folder. Very
>> nice for the IMAP users, but not for the POP users.  Of course the
>> server don't know, and the mysql database for users does not have any
>> flags for this.  Don't want my server to fill up with spam from POP
>> users that don't know to check via IMAP.
>>
>> I am using roundcubemail for the webmail IMAP client.  Is there any
>> way for POP users to indicate that they do not want spam so nicely
>> auto moved to the IMAP spam folder?
>
> How do you even define a "pop user" - it's not an easy thing to determine.

Some that connects to port 110 using a POP3 client.  Remember those?
Back to the days of Eudora, perhaps?  Pete Resnick still attends IETF.

Of course one time they attach with POP3, another with IMAP so I did
find out what I did and now I have to decide what to do about it.
Problem with taking such a big move in one, and then seeing how it
works.  Or not.

> Someone who hasn't logged in via IMAP in x days? Perhaps implement a
> lastlogin_imap field?
> You really should just have a flag in your database.
> Otherwise, just purge from the spam folder messages older than X days
> (preferably after notifying the users, of course).

Something to think about.  Might be good for those that are not IMAP users.

> Another (rather annoying) feature some people have is to have a "spam
> report" delivered to Inbox daily, listing messages delivered to Spam
> in the past 24 hours, you can script that around doveadm fetch.

but basically the above purge would result in a daily message:  "I am
going to purge old spam if you don't do it yourself".