Question wrt. dovecot replicator

Teemu Huovila teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi
Thu Oct 2 08:57:23 UTC 2014

On 10/02/2014 02:40 AM, Remko Lodder wrote:
> and a mail_replica = tcp:host{a,b}:12346 configuration on each host so that they are pointing to eachother; This seems to work fine for most accounts, for example: I never experienced issues with this. However, several other accounts (with a large variety of clients) got duplicated emails. Looking with doveadm I only noticed that the numbers of the messages are closely related to eachother but one number incremented. So they cannot be deleted with the deduplicator function.
>
> The replication is provided over TCP only, the connection streams over an OpenVPN tunnel so that the contents are protected, the machines are located in different Datacenters but close to eachother.
>
> How can I determine why there are duplicated emails?
> What kind of messages should I specifically look for?
Look for any errors and warnings in the Dovecot log. You could also enable mail_debug (ref.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Logging#Logging_verbosity) for the accounts being synced. Also, please post your complete configuration.

> Can I set this up for a few selected accounts instead of all accounts like it was currently? To make sure I do not make things worse for others then needs to be :-)
> The service had been disabled for the time being to prevent the other users from getting duplicated emails.
I do not know what kind of userdb you are running, but there is a newish patch that enables per user replication via the
mail_replica setting. It is not yet included in the newest (2.2.13) release of Dovecot, but is available via the enterprise
version. There are no FreeBSD builds for that, though. ref: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/c1c67bdc8752

br,
Teemu Huovila