auth with entire email addr instead of just username

Cliff Hayes chayes at afo.net
Thu Oct 2 20:24:46 UTC 2014

Good point.
But when I try to add a user with the "user at domain" format using the
useradd command I get error...
useradd: invalid user name 'user at domain.com'

Here is output you requested:

# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 Scientific Linux release
6.5 (Carbon)
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
mail_access_groups = mail
mail_debug = yes
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace {
   hidden = no
   inbox = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix =
   separator = .
   subscriptions = yes
   type = private
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
ssl_ca = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/intermediate.crt
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/avalon20140929.crt
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/avalon20140929.key
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
verbose_ssl = yes