Question wrt. dovecot replicator

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 3 21:37:40 UTC 2014

On 03 Oct 2014, at 23:27, Remko Lodder <remko at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 02 Oct 2014, at 10:57, Teemu Huovila <teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2014 02:40 AM, Remko Lodder wrote:
>>> and a mail_replica = tcp:host{a,b}:12346 configuration on each host so that they are pointing to eachother; This seems to work fine for most accounts, for example: I never experienced issues with this. However, several other accounts (with a large variety of clients) got duplicated emails. Looking with doveadm I only noticed that the numbers of the messages are closely related to eachother but one number incremented. So they cannot be deleted with the deduplicator function.
>>>
>>> The replication is provided over TCP only, the connection streams over an OpenVPN tunnel so that the contents are protected, the machines are located in different Datacenters but close to eachother.
>>>
>>> How can I determine why there are duplicated emails?
>>> What kind of messages should I specifically look for?
>> Look for any errors and warnings in the Dovecot log. You could also enable mail_debug (ref.
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Logging#Logging_verbosity) for the accounts being synced. Also, please post your complete configuration.
>
> I will set that over the weekend with the replication settings re-enabled. I will also post the configuration with the hopefully gathered debugging information.
>

>>> Can I set this up for a few selected accounts instead of all accounts like it was currently? To make sure I do not make things worse for others then needs to be :-)
>>> The service had been disabled for the time being to prevent the other users from getting duplicated emails.
>> I do not know what kind of userdb you are running, but there is a newish patch that enables per user replication via the
>> mail_replica setting. It is not yet included in the newest (2.2.13) release of Dovecot, but is available via the enterprise
>> version. There are no FreeBSD builds for that, though. ref: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/c1c67bdc8752
>
> my userdb consists of local users (Which are fed through LDAP at the backend). perhaps I can setup a mailAttributes setting or something so that the replica can be
> set, although I prefer that I have control over that in the config itself :-)
>
> Thanks!
> Remko

For what it’s worth:

# 2.2.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 amd64
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
doveadm_password = XXXXXXXXXX
mail_debug = yes
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " quota notify"
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave duplicate
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  antispam_backend = mailtrain
  antispam_mail_notspam = --ham
  antispam_mail_sendmail = /usr/local/bin/sa-learn.sh
  antispam_mail_spam = --spam
  antispam_spam = Spam
  antispam_trash = trash;Trash;Deleted Items; Deleted Messages; .Trash
  mail_replica = tcp:xxxx:12346
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_global_dir = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve/global/
  sieve_global_path = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at xxxx
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
replication_dsync_parameters = -f -d -N -l 30 -U
replication_max_conns = 30
service aggregator {
  fifo_listener replication-notify-fifo {
    mode = 0666
  }
  unix_listener replication-notify {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
service doveadm {
  inet_listener {
    port = 12346
  }
}
service imap-login {
  service_count = 1
}
service imap {
  process_limit = 1024
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service pop3 {
  process_limit = 1024
}
service replicator {
  process_min_avail = 1
  unix_listener replicator-doveadm {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_ca = < <location of cafile>
ssl_cert = < <location of crt file>
ssl_key = < <location of key file>
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = quota sieve
  postmaster_address = postmaster at xxxx
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " quota notify sieve"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 20
  mail_plugins = " quota notify imap_quota antispam"
}
[ro