Dbox and Exim

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 9 22:06:12 UTC 2014

On 09 Oct 2014, at 15:20, C Peters <chuck.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Dovecot wiki [1] doesn't list either Exim, Postfix or anything
> else as supporting the dbox.  I did some searching in the Exim
> archives and have found only one message mentioning dbox, sdbox or
> mdbox. [2]  I think an RFC would go a long way towards getting the
> format supported.  Has Timo, or anyone else, considered submitting an
> RFC to the IETF?

No, and I don't want it to happen anytime in near future. The dbox format is highly Dovecot-specific, because it relies on Dovecot's index files. These index files are still changing and I'm not sure if they will ever be fully finished. I don't want any other software to even attempt to implement the same functionality.

> My question was how are we going to use it if Exim doesn't support it.

As others said, use LMTP or dovecot-lda with Sieve filtering.