Dbox and Exim

Andre Rodier andre at rodier.me
Fri Oct 10 07:53:35 UTC 2014

On 09/10/14 23:06, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 09 Oct 2014, at 15:20, C Peters <chuck.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Dovecot wiki [1] doesn't list either Exim, Postfix or anything
>> else as supporting the dbox.  I did some searching in the Exim
>> archives and have found only one message mentioning dbox, sdbox or
>> mdbox. [2]  I think an RFC would go a long way towards getting the
>> format supported.  Has Timo, or anyone else, considered submitting an
>> RFC to the IETF?
>
> No, and I don't want it to happen anytime in near future. The dbox format is highly Dovecot-specific, because it relies on Dovecot's index files. These index files are still changing and I'm not sure if they will ever be fully finished. I don't want any other software to even attempt to implement the same functionality.
>
>> My question was how are we going to use it if Exim doesn't support it.
>
> As others said, use LMTP or dovecot-lda with Sieve filtering.

Hi,

I am sorry if I am presumptuous or out of topic, but it seems to me that
the mail storage should be standardised.

I am still using Maildir myself, simply because I like the simplicity,
one file is one email, one directory is one email folder, for backup or
restore.

The only thing I don't like is the naming convention, but I don't know
if a file system exists today to store such information in label or tags
associated to each file.

Regarding the optimisation, I think it's the file system's role, albeit
I appreciate Dovecot's efforts to optimise the storage by taking in
consideration file system's specificities.

A feature I would like, is dovecot being able to store emails in
databases, SQL or NoSQL. I would use this for archiving and queries
purposes. MariaDB / Drizzle, or MongoDB, CouchDB, etc. There is plenty
of choice.

Maybe this storage scheme would be slower, but IMHO, this is not a
problem when people just want to archive their emails on a remote computer.

Maybe I could start this if I had some template or example to start.

Kind regards,
André.