Dbox and Exim

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Fri Oct 10 08:10:55 UTC 2014

Am 10.10.2014 um 09:53 schrieb Andre Rodier:
> On 09/10/14 23:06, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 09 Oct 2014, at 15:20, C Peters <chuck.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The Dovecot wiki [1] doesn't list either Exim, Postfix or anything
>>> else as supporting the dbox.  I did some searching in the Exim
>>> archives and have found only one message mentioning dbox, sdbox or
>>> mdbox. [2]  I think an RFC would go a long way towards getting the
>>> format supported.  Has Timo, or anyone else, considered submitting an
>>> RFC to the IETF?
>>
>> No, and I don't want it to happen anytime in near future. The dbox
>> format is highly Dovecot-specific, because it relies on Dovecot's
>> index files. These index files are still changing and I'm not sure if
>> they will ever be fully finished. I don't want any other software to
>> even attempt to implement the same functionality.
>>
>>> My question was how are we going to use it if Exim doesn't support it.
>>
>> As others said, use LMTP or dovecot-lda with Sieve filtering.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry if I am presumptuous or out of topic, but it seems to me that
> the mail storage should be standardised.

Not really, its good to have many options

> I am still using Maildir myself, simply because I like the simplicity,
> one file is one email, one directory is one email folder, for backup or
> restore.
>
> The only thing I don't like is the naming convention, but I don't know
> if a file system exists today to store such information in label or tags
> associated to each file.
>
> Regarding the optimisation, I think it's the file system's role, albeit
> I appreciate Dovecot's efforts to optimise the storage by taking in
> consideration file system's specificities.
>
> A feature I would like, is dovecot being able to store emails in
> databases, SQL or NoSQL. I would use this for archiving and queries
> purposes. MariaDB / Drizzle, or MongoDB, CouchDB, etc. There is plenty
> of choice.

agreed, its good to have more options

> Maybe this storage scheme would be slower, but IMHO, this is not a
> problem when people just want to archive their emails on a remote computer.

why not using bcc stuff with i.e postfix

perhaps see

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/07/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern/

sorry german

> Maybe I could start this if I had some template or example to start.
>
> Kind regards,
> André.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer