Fwd: Re: Wiki advice on running getmail on INBOX access - how does that work?

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sun Oct 19 10:25:26 UTC 2014

On 10/18/2014 05:39 PM, c128 mail wrote:
> Bit more investigation...
>
> So - the incrontab rule seems to work to the extent that if I directly
> "ls" the cur folder on the system then it's triggered.
>
> However, the only way I seem to be able to be able to get it to
> trigger from a mail client (I use both Thunderbird and Roundcube) is
> by performing some sort of action on the mail that's already in the
> folder e.g. shifting mail in/out, marking mail read, reading an
> existing mail (in Roundcube only, for the last one, which I suspect is
> related to Thunderbird and local caching?).
>
> Either way, I can't seem to get it to trigger on just access to the
> folder its monitoring...

Looks like the wiki page may be somewhat outdated.
Try /home/user/Maildir rather than /home/user/Maildir/cur. It seems
dovecot doesn't actually need to open the cur directory if it doesn't
seem to have changed since indexes were last updated ... or something
like that.
As for Thunderbird, my guess is the problem is that it keeps connections
already open. I guess it doesn't need to actually re-open things when
you click "Get Messages", dovecot uses mmap alot. I've been able to get
the events to trigger for /Maildir only when a new connection is opened.
It should work for roundcube but perhaps not if you use imapproxy.