What is the correct way to configure the mail_location option for Mailidr format?

Tue Oct 21 17:04:38 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 11:44 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On October 21, 2014 6:18:07 PM deoren
> <Dovecot-mailing-list at whyaskwhy.org> wrote:
>
>>      mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
>>      sieve_dir = /var/vmail/sieve/%d/%n/sieve_dir
>
> mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/.maildir
> sieve_dir = /var/vmail/%d/%n/.sieve
>
> More simple, and more easy to tarball backup

Thank you for the advice. Can you comment re these two approaches for
configuring the 'mail_location' option? I assume the first is simply wrong?

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/.maildir

Also, why do you use the '.maildir' folder name instead of 'Maildir'? Is
that so it doesn't appear in the ls output by default? Some other reason
perhaps?

I agree that having the sieve scripts in a different location than the
mail content is less than ideal. When the sieve scripts were originally
stored in the /var/vmail/%d/%n directory they showed up within
Thunderbird as folders, so to get things working again quickly I made
sure to move the sieve scripts completely outside of where the mail
content was stored.

The cause was likely the 'mail_location' option being misconfigured
(assuming that it really is, I'm still trying to nail that down), so
once that is resolved I'm planning on moving them back.

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping rearranging the mail content will be
just as easy to do.