special "what's my ip" pop account

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Thu Oct 23 11:29:34 UTC 2014

Steffen Kaiser:

> I would give the http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting a try.
I never used PostLoginScripting before. I have concerns about
additional serverload
if that scripting is executed for every pop3 login and every user. (
and there are *many* )

> Maybe you can enable it for your dummy account via ExtraFields specifically.
That sounds I like additional scripting could be selective enabled via
ExtraFields?
It' try to find documentation ...

> Because I wonder, if you will be successful with "throw a login
> error with customised answer" [any MUA displays what it wants], you
> might prefer a MUA-independ script or program that queries your
> server. And if you are at it, maybe a dummy server with a self-made
> script that returns "+OK POP3 your IP is ....", then return +FAIL
> for any further command. You need to return the greeting and keep
> the connection open, in order to bypass IDS firewalls.
I also thought about that.

Thanks for your constructive statement.
Andreas