special "what's my ip" pop account

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:05:19 UTC 2014

Steffen Kaiser writes:

> let's put aside the question, if this way is sensible or not.

[... continuing in nonsensible mode ...]

> And if you are at it, maybe a dummy server with a self-made script that
> returns "+OK POP3 your IP is ....", then return +FAIL for any further
> command.

Been there, done that (for a different problem).  Not all mail readers
will show you banners; to make this really work, you have to implement
USER and PASS (accepts anything), STAT and LIST (one message available),
RETR (dump your informational message payload), QUIT (disconnect),
maybe TOP, and everything else is an +OK no-op.  I patched Qualcomm's
qpopper to do this.

As to whether the OP *should* do this, definitely not.  Find a better
solution.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>