Invoking the spam checker on the sieve script

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Thu Oct 23 15:11:42 UTC 2014

Hi.

TL/DR version:

Is it advisable to invoke an spam checker from the sieve script, and then,
once the message is filtered, decide if should be moved to a certain spam
folder?

A bit more context on why I'm considering this:

I'm just a geek who wants to handle his own mail, but not a great experience
as a system administrator. I don't have any corporate setup, just a simple VPS
with me as the only user.

Previously I fetched all my mail through POP, and in the client of my PC I
moved (lots of) mailing list traffic to its folders. Then, for those remaining
messages (and only those remaining) I passed the spam filter and moved to spam
folder. That's a significant saving since I have many mailing list
subscriptions, and now I'm even using rss2email, so I have lots of email that
is not spam.

I moved to IMAP and my filters are server side with sieve, but I don't have
spam filtering yet. I thought I could replicate the setup easily, but it seems
nobody is doing that, and everyone has the mail already scored when it reaches
sieve. Seems like the "extprograms" extension would be a fit, but again, nobody
seems to mention on documentation, so I'm fearing I'm probably wrong.

Suggestions?

Thank you very much!

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2