Invoking the spam checker on the sieve script

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Thu Oct 23 23:35:28 UTC 2014

Am 2014-10-23 um 17:11 schrieb Alejandro Exojo:

> I moved to IMAP and my filters are server side with sieve, but I don't have
> spam filtering yet.

I understand, that you do not want spamassassin (SA) to check lots of
messages that are clean anyways.

If you can call SA from sieve, as a condtion in an if clause, filtering
should be no problem, should it?

MUAs, e.g. Thunderbird (TB) also have good junk filters, so that might
be an option too. In one account of mine, mail is filtered on the server
and I later have TB filter the SPAM folder locally and occasionally they
both disagree ;) False SA positives are more rare than false SA
negatives. SA and TB score about the same, though TB seems to me to be
more accustomed to my spool.

On a server I administer, quite similar to your setup, very few users, I
recently had to turn on greylisting, which proved exceptionally well in
reducing SA load: Checking is done there during SMTP time. Of course
this will not help in your case when the bulk will pass...

> I thought I could replicate the setup easily, but it seems
> nobody is doing that, and everyone has the mail already scored when it reaches
> sieve. Seems like the "extprograms" extension would be a fit, but again, nobody
> seems to mention on documentation, so I'm fearing I'm probably wrong.

You can use this list to provide the missing documentation ;)

--
peter