vpopmail, open_smtp_relay and non-PLAIN auth mechs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 31 06:33:34 UTC 2014

On 30 Oct 2014, at 05:50, Jim Jagielski <jimjag at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that if using the vpopmail auth setup, that the roaming-user
> functionality
> provided via open_smtp_relay() is only done if the auth mechanism is PLAIN.
> For
> example, if the client authenticates via DIGEST-MD5, the open relay file is
> not updated, as it should be.
>
> This is due to the call to open_smtp_relay only being done
> via vpopmail_verify_plain().
> Instead, imo, that call should be done in auth_request_success() in the
> auth-request.c
> file, so that it is done however the authentication is done, as long as it
> is successful.
>
> Attached is a patch for 2.2.15. Let me know if attachments are not the
> preferred method
> and I'll cut/paste.

Well, your method works, and I'm not sure if there's really any other way to do it currently.. But I really don't want any vpopmail code outside *db-vpopmail.c, so I think if people want to do this they'll need to patch. And why are people still using pop3/imap-before-smtp instead of SMTP auth that everything supports nowadays? (And in general nowadays I think vpopmail should have been an external plugin since the beginning, but too much trouble for everybody to change it now.)