usenet/imap

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 00:40:07 UTC 2014

On 9/13/14, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 06:33 AM, Edwardo Garcia wrote:

>> We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
>> file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
>> default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
>> usenet is not as popular this days.
>
>   With respect, this a load of crap.  I was a commercial INN admin for
> many years, and I run it on my own network to this day.  It's a fine
> piece of software, does its job very well, is easy to manage, and
> generally gives no guff.

it does what it does well, yes, but it doesnt do much without writing
a bunch of perl extras, like posting filters to anonymize users by
stripping out header stuff.

Also, inn will not limit user concurrency unless you use an external
auth hook you have to write such as in perl, it can not do it out of
the box, and it has no way of limiting each host to X amount of
transferred data per day.

>   And for the record, Usenet is "not as popular these days" because most
> of the current inhabitants of the Internet are drooling morons who think
> the Internet and the WWW are the same thing, and that it's all one big
> TV.  They'd never understand the concepts of Usenet in the first place.

heh, most kids of today would be shocked to learn their precious P2P,
mailing lists, and forums etc  grew out from Usenet. only the die
hards use it for binaries these days

strange though, since the downloaders are truly anonymous, buit do
risk higher chance of missed bits, dont have to share whilst
d/loading, and only the senders may leave a trail and at slight risk
of being found out.