usenet/imap

Edwardo Garcia wdgarc88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:37:50 UTC 2014

On 9/13/14, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 06:33 AM, Edwardo Garcia wrote:
>>> Depending on your news feed that will get huge over time, and if you
>>> try get a back feed of existing posts, thats even crazier, my upstream
>>> feeds me over FORTY THOUSAND text newsgroups. thats unrealistic to
>>
>> How much of these group are active? Or how many post a day on average you
>> get?
>
>   I realize you weren't asking me, but just to give you another data
> point, my server receives about 23,000 articles per day.  This is nearly
> all groups minus the binaries.
>
>>> feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
>>> one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
>>>
>> We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
>> file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
>> default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
>> usenet is not as popular this days.
>
>   With respect, this a load of crap.  I was a commercial INN admin for
> many years, and I run it on my own network to this day.  It's a fine
> piece of software, does its job very well, is easy to manage, and
> generally gives no guff.

Sorry, but Nick was right, it is severe pain to get to do what we
would need, I installed  dnews, and oh my god, it is so much cleaner
and configurable out the box that it took 10 minutes to configure to
be anonymous for users but still logs so we know who does what, and it
access file is as simple as postfix! unlike inn, wow so much what they
say, chalk and cheese, dnews is a dream, I do like its pull feature
for only group we want, running now since yesterday, some staff use,
we notify select users who want usenet to use, if everybody happy in
one week we ask for license, even if need pay, much cleaner, better,
and no stress set up

>   (Of course this is coming from the perspective of someone who ran
> C-news, and before that, B-news.  B was mostly shell scripts!)
>
>   Just try not to look at it as a mail server, because it isn't, and
> you'll be fine with INN.

I think this might be true if you want allow world access and not care
who posts where or how or how many.

>   And for the record, Usenet is "not as popular these days" because most
> of the current inhabitants of the Internet are drooling morons who think
> the Internet and the WWW are the same thing, and that it's all one big
> TV.  They'd never understand the concepts of Usenet in the first place.

Binaries still very popular, maybe for reason nick say