director

Chris Lasater vorgusa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:24:03 UTC 2014

Basically the director is just another instance of Dovecot, and the
base_dir is where the dovecot instance stores its information, so if you
want 2 instances on 1 server you will need to separate them.  You will
need to set up 2 configuration files, one for Director and one for
dovecot.  When I initially did this, I had some issues with the doveadm
command, where it would look at the default location instead of the one
in base_dir, I am not sure if this is still the case, but I fixed it by
deleting the default and setting neither instance to the default base_dir.
     To control 1 instance you can run doveadm with the -i flag using
the instance_name.  doveadm -i Director stop  and look into the status
of both instances using doveadm instance list.  I start the 2nd instance
using dovecot -c /path/to/director.conf
     Hopefully this helps,
     Chris

instance_name = Director
base_dir = /home/user/dovecot/var/run/director

instance_name = Dovecot
base_dir = /home/user/dovecot/var/run/mail