Dovecot Sieve and Postfix header_checks Issue

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 26 15:57:23 UTC 2014

Am 26.09.2014 um 17:44 schrieb Klaipedaville on Google:
> There are countries for example Germany where it is prohibited by law to discard
> any email messages silently. You must reject them so that the senders would be
> aware what is going on. I was told that by one German admin. I am not sure if
> this is really true but it has some logic on one hand

it is true and besides the german legal letter below you violate a
second law at the same time - that is why you have to run a spamfilter
*before queue* and sa-milter exists - in case you reject a message
the sending server is responsible for a bounce

in case you accept and silently drop it you have a unacceptable
configuration - independent of laws - in case of a important and
time critical mail i need to know it was rejected and so can call
the person by phone or try to remove something which triggered
a false positive

there are two important rules for mail:

a) if you accept it you have to deliver it
b) if you can't deliver it you must not accept it

if you follow b) you don't become a backscatter

http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

§ 303a StGB - Datenveränderung (1) Wer rechtswidrig Daten
(§ 202a Abs. 2) löscht, unterdrückt, unbrauchbar macht oder
verändert, wird mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu zwei Jahren oder
mit Geldstrafe bestraft