No AUTH PLAIN with dovecot 2.0.19

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Mon Sep 29 12:53:38 UTC 2014

Hi

I have installed the package dovecot-postfix on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:

dovecot --version: 2.0.19
postconf -d | grep version: 2.9.6

and receiving email works very fine, but relaying email does not work.

I think the problem is that after STARTTLS the authentication is not
being executed

250-AUTH PLAIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN

which means using telnet returns

telnet mx2.wyona.com 587
Trying 50.116.54.197...
Connected to node3.wyona.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 node3.members.linode.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
EHLO letscallitevil.com
250-node3.members.linode.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

So far I have used dovecot version 1.2.9, which works very fine, but the
configuration

/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

seems to be very different in the case of dovecot version 2.0.19.

I have checked all kind of tutorials for several days now, like for example

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/postfix.html

but nothing helped.

Any pointers or help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael