No AUTH PLAIN with dovecot 2.0.19

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 29 13:01:08 UTC 2014

Am 29.09.2014 um 14:53 schrieb Michael Wechner:
> I have installed the package dovecot-postfix on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
>
> dovecot --version: 2.0.19
> postconf -d | grep version: 2.9.6
>
> and receiving email works very fine, but relaying email does not work.
>
> I think the problem is that after STARTTLS the authentication is not
> being executed
>
> 250-AUTH PLAIN
> 250-AUTH=PLAIN
>
> which means using telnet returns

telnet is worthless because AUTH is likely announced *after STARTTLS*
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_security_options

> telnet mx2.wyona.com 587
> Trying 50.116.54.197...
> Connected to node3.wyona.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 node3.members.linode.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

oh my god, another server in the linode-zombie network
that's bad neigbourhood and you should avoid a PTR
ending with "members.linode.com" which is generic
and here blocked because i have never seen any legit
mail from Linode but 24 hours each day attacks or
spam delivery attempts

http://www.mxpolice.com/email-security/importance-of-ptr-records-for-reliable-mail-delivery/