Dovecot Oy merger with Open-Xchange AG

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Wed Apr 1 13:57:22 UTC 2015

On Mit, 2015-04-01 at 14:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 01.04.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Bernd Petrovitsch:
> >
> > FWIW the context were large "old-school" corps (like Novell or Oracle)
> > taking over free software companies.
> >
> >> that is simple not true - if it would be true linux distributions would
> >
> > Define "true Linux distribution".
>
> who the fuck was talking abiut "true Linux distribution"?

Ooops, sry, misread that ("," could help ....).
Actually, the whole area/discussion IMHO too versatile to invalidate (or
validate) anything with just one example - not everything is white or
black ...
One had to look at each situation and the circumstances/conditions/...
(and there is no excuse for companies to fix a bugs paid by their
customers and "forget" to send them upstream - if only to get a
confirmation on the quality).

> >> not include half baken and aplha quality sofwtare again and again in
> >> stable releases because "the market out there"
> >
> > That's everywhere in the commercial world the problem with "delivery vs
> > quality/known problems" and someone's decision to ship or not to ship -
> > based in whatever feels appropriate.
>
> and in the opensource world too - so shwat

Usually a maintainer has no direct pressure on "shipping"/releasing. And
sometimes one actually ships known bugs if only to motivate the ones who
should fix the bugs and one doesn't want to become hostage of some lazy
contributors;-)

[...]
Kind regards,
	Bernd
--
"I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main