Couldn't set transaction log view (seq 9..13)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 6 03:19:50 UTC 2015

On 02 Apr 2015, at 03:59, micah anderson <micah at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using 2.2.13 on Debian stable, and I perform regular dsync
> backups. Typically if there is an error, dsync can recover from it the
> next time it is run, but I've been encountering a new error that doesn't
> seem to self-heal:
>
> # /usr/bin/dsync -u gae backup ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa backmaildir at internal.example /usr/bin/dsync -u micah
> dsync-remote(micah): Error: /srv/maildirbackups/m/micah/daily.1/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index: Couldn't set transaction log view (seq 9..13)
> dsync-remote(micah): Error: Failed to read transaction log for mailbox INBOX
>
> Re-running the dsync never fixes the issue.
>
> I'm happy to provide any additional information if so required to help
> track down this problem!

Can you create a tarball of such mailbox directories that reproduces the problem? Probably this would work:

 - copy source and destination dboxes to /tmp/test/1 and /tmp/test/2
 - delete all the mailboxes except INBOX
 - delete all the u.* files from the INBOXes. This probably doesn't affect the dsync run - if it does run the mails instead through http://dovecot.org/tools/dbox-anonymize.pl
 - delete dovecot.index.cache files
 - make sure you can still reproduce this error by running: doveadm -o mail=sdbox:/tmp/test/1 sync sdbox:/tmp/test/2
 - tar czf test.tar.gz /tmp/test

Then send the tarball to me and I can fix the bug. Oh, also it would be a good idea to test with a newer Dovecot version since there are some indexing fixes since v2.2.13..

Also I added some code that should give a better-debuggable error message if this happens: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/8146fdc0de34