Dovecot 2.2.16: disappearing messages, mismatched summaries, duplicated messages, excessive full re-downloads

David Gessel gessel at blackrosetech.com
Thu Apr 16 03:21:44 UTC 2015

Edgar,

Thank you very much for your help.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Dovecot 2.2.16: disappearing messages, mismatched summaries, duplicated messages, excessive full re-downloads
From: Edgar Pettijohn III <edgar at pettijohn-web.com>
To: David Gessel <gessel at blackrosetech.com>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2015 05:10:50 GMT+0300 (Arabic Standard Time)

>> mail_location = maildir:~:CONTROL=/var/no-quota/%u
>
> At first glance the above looks like it may be wrong or a typo.

It does what I expect:  mail directories are virtual and look like

/mail/domain.tld/user/cur
/mail/domain.tld/user/.Sent/cur

That's a little different than one would use for home directories where it would make sense to have something like

/usr/home/user/maildir/INBOX/

control ends up looking like

/var/no-quota/user at domain.tld/.INBOX

I suppose "no-quota" was taken a little literally from the examples.  I worried a bit that the lack of Maildir in the directory path might confuse something, but so far all clients can enumerate the IMAP structure.

> I don't remember now why I added the following, but it seems like it may be worth a shot:
>
> imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep tb-lsub-flags

I had tb-extra-mailbox-sep enabled, but on closer read it is only required if LAYOUT=fs, which I am not using so I removed it to simplify my options.  I don't think it did anything better or worse being there.
The documentation says delay-newmail is for outlook express 6
I haven't seen tb-lsub-flags - it seems to have been introduced in 2011 to help TB understand folders of folders.  I'll give it a try, but I don't think it will impact the problems I'm seeing across so many clients.

>> mbox_dirty_syncs = no
>> mbox_lazy_writes = no
>
> Pretty sure the above is for mbox if you are using maildir I don't think they apply, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right, and that would explain why they make no difference.