migrating servers

chris cjhamono at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 22 08:12:26 UTC 2015

Hi

I am trying to migrate from a Centos dovecot 1.0.7 install to a debian
dovecot 2.1.7 install.

I thought simply replicating the maildirs would be fine (using rsync) but
when I fetch mail from the new server using IMAP thunderbird wants to
download all the messages again as duplicates.

I searched the wiki over to see if I could find a solution and while it
appeared I could use doveadm backup that seems to only work pushing changes
from the new server to the old (wrong direction) and that program does not
exist on the earlier version of dovecot on the old server.

If I can be very blunt the documentation on the wiki assumes far too much
knowledge from the reader. It is often hard to decipher exactly what is
meant by many of the obtuse instructions. But that is an aside can anyone
give me pointers on how to do this migration for all my users so they don't
need to sort through hundreds of duplicated emails?

Chris