migrating servers

Chris cjhamono at internode.on.net
Sun Aug 23 06:35:37 UTC 2015

I worked out what the problem was

Because I had been planning this move for several months I was syncing home
user directories including Maildir for several months

unfortunately I forgot the --delete command to rsync so while users were
deleting emails on the original server they were often being copied to the
destination server before being deleted.

Therefore there where many more emails in the folder than expected. many
quite old.

by resyncing with the --delete command I was able to bring the source and
destination into proper sync and all the extra emails were cleaned up

Of course the pop email accounts still had the duplicates I have had to
advise the user to clean out there email folders and apologised for the
inconvenience.

Chris