Shared Mailboxes Not Visible

Mark Usrey mark.usrey at solaray-sunglasses.com
Tue Aug 25 21:44:52 UTC 2015

OK, gurus, I've spent the last 2 days crawling through all of the posts
and web postings regarding shared folders, and I simply cannot get it to
work.  I'm sure that there is something simple that I've overlooked, but
cannot for the life of me see it :)

Here's my current config:

        # 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
        # OS: Linux 3.16.0-46-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS xfs
        auth_mechanisms = plain login
        debug_log_path = /var/log/debug.log
        listen = *
        mail_gid = mail
        mail_location =
        mdbox:/mail/data/private/%n:INDEX=/mail/index/private/%n
        mail_plugins = acl notify mail_log stats
        mail_privileged_group = mail
        namespace {
           list = children
           location =
        mdbox:/mail/data/shared/%%n:INDEXPVT=/mail/index/private/%n/shared_indices/%%n
           prefix = Shared/%%n/
           separator = /
           subscriptions = no
           type = shared
        }
        namespace inbox {
           inbox = yes
           location =
           mailbox Drafts {
             special_use = \Drafts
           }
           mailbox Junk {
             special_use = \Junk
           }
           mailbox Sent {
             special_use = \Sent
           }
           mailbox "Sent Messages" {
             special_use = \Sent
           }
           mailbox Trash {
             special_use = \Trash
           }
           prefix =
           separator = /
           type = private
        }
        passdb {
           args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
           driver = ldap
        }
        plugin {
           acl = vfile
           acl_shared_dict = file:/mail/dict/shared-mailboxes
           autocreate = Trash
           autocreate2 = Spam
           autocreate3 = Drafts
           autocreate4 = Junk
           autosubscribe = Trash
           autosubscribe2 = Spam
           autosubscribe3 = Drafts
           autosubscribe4 = Junk
           mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
        mailbox_rename flag_change append
           mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size subject
           stats_refresh = 30 secs
           stats_track_cmds = yes
        }
        protocols = " imap lmtp"
        service auth {
             user = postfix
           }
        }
        service dict {
           unix_listener dict {
             group = mail
             mode = 0600
             user = root
           }
        }
        service imap-login {
           process_min_avail = 5
           service_count = 0
        }
        service imap {
           process_limit = 4096
        }
        service lmtp {
           unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
             group = postfix
             mode = 0600
             user = postfix
           }
        }
        service stats {
           fifo_listener stats-mail {
             group = mail
             mode = 0660
             user = root
           }
        }
        ssl_ca = </etc/dovecot/thawte2.crt
        ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot2.pem
        ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/solaray-sunglasses.com.key
        userdb {
           args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
           driver = ldap
        }
        protocol lmtp {
           postmaster_address = postmaster at solaray-sunglasses.com
        }
        protocol imap {
           mail_plugins = acl notify mail_log stats imap_acl imap_stats
        }

All of our users are "real" (no virtual users or domains) and only a
single domain supported.  We have a user, rself, that is attempting to
share his inbox with a few others that also need access to it. So the
corresponding ACL files:

        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself# ls -la /mail/data/shared/rself/
        total 20
        drwx------  4 rself mail    79 Aug 24 15:22 .
        drwxrwx---  7 mail  mail    71 Aug 24 16:01 ..
        -rw-------  1 rself mail    17 Aug 24 15:22 dovecot-acl-list
        drwx------ 10 rself mail   130 Aug 24 12:28 mailboxes
        drwx------  2 rself mail 12288 Aug 25 16:25 storage

And the contents of dovecot-acl-list:

        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself# cat dovecot-acl-list
        1440447778 INBOX
        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself#

And the mailbox-specific files:

        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails#
        ls -la
        total 4
        drwx------ 2 rself mail 24 Aug 25 08:16 .
        drwx------ 3 rself mail 23 Aug 24 12:28 ..
        -rw------- 1 rself mail 24 Aug 24 15:22 dovecot-acl
        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails#

Content:

        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails#
        cat dovecot-acl
        user=musrey akxeilprwts
        root at srv56:/mail/data/shared/rself/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails#

Now, the global ACL dictionary (just a flat file, not enough users to
justify SQL :)

        root at srv56:~# ls -la /mail/dict/
        total 12
        drwxrwxr-x 2 root  mail 4096 Aug 24 18:05 .
        drwxr-xr-x 5 root  root 4096 Aug 23 08:51 ..
        -rw-r--r-- 1 rself mail   40 Aug 24 18:05 shared-mailboxes

And contents:

        root at srv56:~# cat /mail/dict/shared-mailboxes
        shared/shared-boxes/user/musrey/rself
        1
        root at srv56:~#

So, as far as I can tell from my RTFM activities, I think the
configuration is correct.  Now, I go to attempt to check the ACL using
doveadm, and I get this:

        root at srv56:~# doveadm acl debug -u musrey Shared/rself/INBOX
        doveadm(musrey): Error: Can't open mailbox Shared/rself/INBOX:
        Mailbox doesn't exist: Shared/rself/INBOX
        root at srv56:~#

WTH, over?  So, not thinking this is an ACL issue, but simply a
namespace issue - either I have the shared namespace configured
incorrectly, or I'm using it incorrectly in attempting to identify
rself's INBOX when trying to verify that the ACL is working.  So, I
thought to myself, let's try a mailbox list, so I executed

        root at srv56:~# doveadm mailbox list -u musrey
        ACT!
        ACT!/General
        AES Outdoors
        AES Outdoors/Christy
        AES Outdoors/Gwen
        .... (many, many mailboxes in here - I should probably eliminate
        some of them :)
        VMWare
        Watchguard
        Xata Corporation
        Xata Corporation/Mike Brossman
        Xata Corporation/Mike Uremovich
        INBOX
        root at srv56:~#

But no "Shared" or "rself" to be found.

Help, please.  I'm quickly going bald over this one.

--

*Mark Usrey*
Director of Information Technologies

*Solaray LLC