Resubmission after N days

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Wed Feb 4 07:16:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2015, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>
>> I would like to implement a 43Folder system[1] with dovecot and a mail user
>> agent.
>>
>> Use case:
>>
>> - I have a new mail in my inbox. I read it and see that I can't handle it
>> now. I want to handle this mail in 5 days.
>> - Now I want to have some sort of resubmission: the mail should be moved to
>> a different location for these 5 days.
>> - After 5 days the mail should be moved to my inbox again.
>
> What mail storage are you using? With Maildir all messages are plain
> files, you could move those messages into a specific folder and do:
>
> find /path/to/folder -mtime +$days -print0 | \
> xargs -r0 mv -t /path/to/INBOX/new
>
> In my experience you can keep all attributes, keywords etc.pp. on the
> filename. Depending on how you read your messages, your target directory
> could be "cur" instead of "new".
>
>> How can this be done with Dovecot/IMAP?
>>
>> I have programming experience, but I am new to Dovecot/IMAP.
>
> So, with Maildir and the normal Unix commands (or a script language), that
> should be easy.
>
>> I would like solve this with Dovecot only (without a database or web
>> server).
>
> If you use another storage or some other tagging scheme, see doveadm .
> With that command you can search for messages and move them, please search
> the list for examples.
>
>> Does the IMAP protocol over methods which could help?
>
> Hm, you could use the meta data plugin or even keywords (aka labels), in
> order to store the "tags" per message, but I would use normal folders.

I've read the wiki page more closely, if you really store the messages "to
be filed according to the future date on which each document needs
action", say "to-do.2015-02-28", you can use doveadm mailbox to get the
mailbox names and doveadm move to move the messages to the INBOX, probably
delete empty mailboxes. (Note: the German useage of "mailbox" is different
than in English, it's a false friend.)

- --
Steffen Kaiser