"Temporary authentication failure" ? Cant connect with ldap user

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Wed Feb 25 12:10:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Mihai Badici wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2015 10:31:22 David Scheele wrote:
>> Is there a good, foolproof dovecot-openldap tutorial that walks you through
>> the steps and works with the newest version of both softwares?
>> I'm giving up and starting anew.

> Well, I'm not sure.  As I said, you can take a look on my templates.
> Openldap is maybe to flexible for us :) and the dovecot setup always depend
> on openldap setup.. which depend on your distribution if you install it with
> apt-get.
> If you download my packages you don't need to install them but there are some
> configuration templates you can see and modify.
>
> If you have anonymous access you don't need to bind with admin credentials.

(Y)

@David:
You should know your LDAP setup and craft Dovecot for it.

- From your question I guess that you have not changed the LDAP scheme, but
use some default posixAccount objectclass.

So tell us:

1) does ldapsearch -x -h server
displays all users ? If yes: No admin access required.

2) How does your users are to login? Mail address, account name, user
name?

3) Which information is storred in LDAP per account mandatory and in which
LDAP attribute.

>>> Ldapsearch will search in the default container.
>>> But probably the admin user is in different container, like
>>> cn=admin,cn=config
>>> so you can't find it with this search

- --
Steffen Kaiser